PLEASE NOTE: The Shadow Booth is now closed to fiction submissions. Please keep an eye on our Facebook and Twitter pages for details of the next submissions period.
You know how we like to keep you on your toes? Well...
The Shadow Booth is now OPEN for fiction submissions until the end of April! Here are some basic guidelines:
- We are a bi-annual journal of weird and eerie fiction. Do not send us your Western romance (in space). Do not send us your drug addiction memoir. Do not send us your shopping list (unless you're buying some really weird things). Weird. Eerie. Fiction. Please.
- If you want an idea of what we mean by weird and eerie, then read one of our previous volumes. This is the best way to find out what we like! All ebooks are under £5, and like all independent publications, we need your support to keep going. Paperbacks are under £9, and our latest, Vol. 3, has just been published. (Paperbacks, ebooks and subscriptions are available here. Okay, rant over...) If you want further pointers, why not read editor Dan Coxon's article on the Ginger Nuts of Horror website: Face the Strange.
- Submissions should be 1,000 - 8,000 words long. We won't quibble over a word or two, but otherwise those limits are fixed.
- We would particularly like to read stories by BAME writers, and by women writing within the weird/eerie horror scene. In our experience, these tend to be underrepresented within the genre. Having said that, if you fall into neither of these groups, we want to read your work too - all stories will be considered on an equal basis once they have been submitted.
- Please only submit one story during the submissions period. Any further submissions during this period will be rejected. (We would say 'send us your best', but you know that already...)
- Simultaneous submissions are fine, but please let us know if your story is accepted elsewhere. It's just common courtesy.
- Email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the word SUBMISSION as the first word of the Subject line. It's also helpful if you include the story title.
- Manuscripts should be submitted as a Word file attached to the email wherever possible. We'll do our best to read .rtf files and PDFs, but we make no promises. DO NOT paste your story into the body of the email.
- This submissions period is for Vols. 4 and 5, to be published in October 2019 and April 2020.
- The important part: The Shadow Booth is a paying market, paying 1.5p per word. That works out as £15 per 1,000 words, if it's simpler. While payments can be made to overseas writers (and we actively encourage writers from overseas to submit), payment is simplified if you have a Paypal account.